Hi everybody! Assalamu alaikoum! This is Rosie and welcome to my Cafe Wanasa blog! :) I hope you will always come by to visit! :) Now I am in Kuwait studying at the university here as I am double majoring in Islamic Studies and International Business with a certificate in Middle East studies. I decided to start a blog about my coffee business from the beginning so I can document each step I take forward. Many things inspired my coffee company. One of them was meeting Jose Maria Figueres-Olsen, the former president of Costa Rica and partner with Al Gore in the production of the campaign on Mitigating Climate Change and the Inconvenient Truth, the film. He came to Kuwait a few months ago and spoke about sustainable development and economic growth. Here is some of his biography quoted from his website:
"José María Figueres served as President of Costa Rica from 1994 to 1998. As such, he was the youngest President of a Central American country in modern times. During his presidency, he created a comprehensive national Sustainable Development strategy combining sound macroeconomic indicators, together with strategic investment in human development, and a strong alliance with nature through the implementation of innovative environmental policies. Prior to serving as President he was Minister of Foreign Trade (1987-1988) and Minister of Agriculture (1988-1990). In the international arena he has pioneered the linkage between Sustainable Development and technology, in the realms of business, public service, and non-profit organizations." You can read the rest of it at - http://www.josemariafigueres.org/biography-jose-maria-figueres/jose-maria-figueres-biography.htm
Inspired by this, I hoped to someday have a business that operated in harmony with all people and nature. I didn't want to do business that would be either offensive to Allah or harmful to people or the environment.
Since beginning my studies of the Middle East and coming to this region I have noticed that a strong connection exists between Arabic and Spanish and I hoped to someday find a way through business to celebrate this special connection. This is when I realized that coffee was something that both regions took pride in and enjoyed. Guatemala, my country of birth, is the source of some of the best coffee on earth. Coffee in the Middle East is a great part of the tradition and culture. Coffee is connected with friendship and hospitality here. It is not just about the caffeine or the flavor here. It goes deeper than that.
So in this spirit, I hope to benefit both the indigenous people of my country and its beautiful landscape, while introducing to Kuwait organic and shade grown product that is also of excellent quality.
The name of this coffee is Cafe Wanasa.
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment